Go to the U of M home page.

Home > Current Students > Student Services > Tuition & Financial Aid

Tuition & Financial Aid

Funding your Law School Education

A majority of Law School students receive financial aid including scholarships and loans to help fund their legal education. An online process provides convenient access to the financial aid application and disbursement.

For more information, please visit the One Stop Student Services Website at http://onestop.umn.edu. Additional information and resources for financial aid and money management is provided in the Student Financials FAQ. Financial aid advisor Jim Parker is available for assistance and can be reached at j-park1@umn.edu or 612-626-0750.

For refund and drop/add deadlines, visit http://www.law.umn.edu/current/deadlines.html.

Residence and Reciprocity

Minnesota residents pay lower tuition than nonresidents. The University has reciprocity agreements with South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Manitoba. For more information, please visit http://www.admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/index.html and look under the "Financial Forms" section.

Tuition and Fees 2014-15

Residents and Reciprocity Students:

1L $41,222
2L $41,222
3L $39,407

Nonresident (1L, 2L, 3L):


These numbers include tuition, University fees and Law School fees. They exclude optional health insurance of $2,098.

Cost of Attendance 2014-15

Single Residents and Reciprocity Students:

Tuition and Fees $41,222
UMN Health Insurance* $2,098
Books & Supplies $1,700
Indirect Costs** $13,926
TOTAL $58,946

Single Nonresidents:

Tuition and Fees: $48,710
UMN Health Insurance* $2,098
Books & Supplies $1,700
Indirect Costs** $13,926
TOTAL $66,434

The Office of Student Finance sets cost-of-attendance (COA) estimates used to determine your aid eligibility.


*Students have the option of using their own health insurance.

**Indirect Costs are calculated for a student living off-campus as follows:

  • Room/board $10,926 (based upon local housing prices)
  • Transportation $1,000
  • Personal/miscellaneous $2,000

Reciprocity students (those living in South Dakota, Wisconsin, or Manitoba) must apply to receive the resident tuition rate. For additional information, please visit http://www.admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/index.html and look under the "Financial Forms" section.

Living expenses for family members are not covered by financial aid, except for documented child care costs at a level set by the Office of Student Finance.

For Refund and Drop/Add deadlines, please visit http://www.law.umn.edu/current/deadlines.html.


Federal aid is available to eligible students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents through Ford Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans. To be considered for federal direct and other campus-based loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1 of the year of law school entrance (e.g., submit a 2015-2016 application after January 1, 2015, for fall semester 2015) and each year thereafter.

  • For accuracy and the quickest results, apply online at http://fafsa.ed.gov after you have completed your federal tax return. Be sure to provide the University's federal school code, 003969.
  • Online applications require a federal PIN (personal identification number available at pin.ed.gov) for your use as an electronic signature and to gain access to your online account for future applications.
  • Without a PIN, you must print the signature page, sign it, and mail it to the Federal Student Aid Programs address given on the Web site.
  • Keep copies of federal tax returns and FAFSA papers.
  • You will be considered for federal direct loans of up to $20,500 and other campus-based loans (limited funds, need-based distribution).
  • Loan awards, based on FAFSA results, are calculated to help meet educational cost needs that are not met by other aid, such as scholarships or earnings.

Once tuition and financial aid levels are finalized in late July, an e-mail will be sent to your University e-mail account, directing you to an online Financial Aid Award Notice (eFAAN). The eFAAN provides you with instructions on how to accept, decline, or request reduced loan amounts online.

Private Lenders

If you are not eligible for campus-based and/or federal loans, or need to supplement your funds, you may apply for private loans.

  • After you receive your online eFAAN, please complete an online private loan application. The information will then be electronically transferred to OSF.
  • For more on private loans, go to the One Stop Student Services Web site and click on Financial Aid.


Scholarships are based on admission applications and are awarded at the time of admission. Admitted students are reviewed for a scholarship at the time of admittance; no separate application is required. For questions, please contact the Law School Admissions Office at jdadmissions@umn.edu.

  • Law School scholarships range from $5,000 to full-tuition.
  • Admitted students are no longer eligible for federal or state undergraduate grants. However, you may qualify for gift aid by researching and applying for outside grants and scholarships.

Additional resources:

A Note About Credit History:

Before you start your law program, we strongly recommend that you request and review your credit history for accuracy. If corrections need to be made, you should resolve them before you apply for a loan. A copy of your credit report may be requested online at www.annualcreditreport.com. You also can request separate reports from the three major credit-reporting corporations — Transunion, Experian and Equifax — by contacting their individual corporate Web sites.

Due to the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines governing financial aid programs, the information on this Web site is subject to change without notice.