Partners in Excellence Increase Their Support
The Law School’s Partners in Excellence Annual Fund for fiscal year 2006-2007 (which ended June 30) exceeded the half-million-dollar mark and set a new record, thanks to increased giving by Law School alumni and friends. Contributions were up more than 32% over the previous fiscal year, bringing Annual Fund gifts and pledges to a total of $571,827.
This backing permits the Law School to continue to offer a great education to today’s students. Funds will support current critical needs, including scholarships, student journals, the Law Clinics, symposia, faculty initiatives, and other Law School programs.
Rebecca Egge Moos (class of 1977) of Bassford Remele, Minneapolis, led the 2006-2007 Partners in Excellence campaign as National Chair. She also served on her class committee to organize its 30th reunion during Spring Alumni Weekend.
James J. Bender (class of 1981), senior vice president and general counsel of Williams Energy in Tulsa, Oklahoma, is National Chair for the 2007-2008 Partners in Excellence campaign (ending June 30, 2008). Later this fall, he will contact alumni and friends with an official campaign kick-off message.
The Partners in Excellence program was established by Dean William B. Lockhart in 1968, and grew out of his conversations with Julius E. Davis and Solly Robins (both class of 1936). Alumni and friends contributed $93,000 that first year to support faculty hiring and retention, and the program quickly expanded to help fund other important projects and initiatives. With ever-decreasing state funding (which now makes up less than 10% of the Law School’s operating budget), the Law School depends on increased annual and endowment contributions from alumni and friends to remain at the forefront of legal education.
The Law School thanks Moos and Bender for their service and leadership and is grateful to the many alumni and friends who gave last year.
For more information or to make your contribution today, go to www.law.umn.edu/giving.html.