Prof. Morrison Appointed to Max Planck Institute Board of Trustees
FEBRUARY 4, 2010—Professor Fred Morrison has been reappointed to a five-year term on the Board of Trustees for the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg. The Board meets annually to oversee the work of the Institute, which researches basic issues, current developments, and interplay among public international, national, and European law.
Among Morrison’s colleagues on the Board are Prof. Emeritus Michael Bothe, Frankfurt University; Prof. Pedro Cruz Villalón, Autonomous University of Madrid; Prof. Peter Frankenberg, Minister for Science, Research, and Art for the state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany; Dr. Reinhard Müller, Editor of Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung; Prof. Hans-Jürgen Papier, Chief Justice of the German Constitutional Court; Prof. Fausto Pocar, Judge of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia; Dr. Paul Seger, Legal Adviser to the Swiss Foreign Ministry; Prof. Bruno Simma, Judge of the International Court of Justice; Prof. Vissilios Skouris, Chief Judge of the European Court of Justice, Luxemburg; Dr. Helmut Tichy, Legal Adviser to the Austrian Foreign Ministry; Dr. Susanne Wasum-Rainer, Legal Adviser to the German Foreign Office; and Dr. Eckart Würzner, Lord Mayor of Heidelberg.
The Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law employs about 70 scholars and hosts guests from across the world who conduct research, present lectures, lead working groups, and exchange information. It contributes in an advisory role to parliaments, courts, and other administrative bodies and also is involved in practical development of public international law, including formation of legal institutions in Afghanistan and Sudan.
The Institute is one of 80 institutes that comprise the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science, an independent, nonprofit association formed to support basic research in areas of interest to the general public (natural sciences, life sciences, social sciences, humanities). Funded by federal and state sources, research and license fees, and donations, the Society’s institutes often focus on innovative research that universities cannot accommodate and have supported 32 Nobel Prize winners.
The Max Planck Society, which succeeded the Kaiser Wilhelm Society founded in 1911, was established in 1948 and named after the prominent German physicist. The international law Institute, founded in 1924, was re-established within the Max Planck Society in 1949.