Women in Higher Education: Power, Progress, & the Promise of Equality
University of Minnesota Women's Faculty Cabinet and
University of Minnesota Law School
University of Minnesota Law School, Lockhart Hall (Room 25)
Thursday, October 7, 2010
5:00 p.m. - 6:45 p.m.
Lockhart Hall (Room 25)
- Keynote Lecture:
- Dr. Susan Herbst, Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer, University System of Georgia
- Breaking The Ground: Why Equity Studies Matter:
- Presentation of The Phoenix Awards
- Laura Cooper, J. Stewart and Mario Thomas McClendon Professor in Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution, University of Minnesota Law School
- Dr. Blenda Wilson,
Former President and CEO of the Nellie Mae Education Foundation and
currently Chair of the Board of Directors of Higher Education Resource
- Ms. Andrea Rubenstein, Attorney, Schaefer Law Firm, Minneapolis, MN
- Dr. Shyamala Rajender, Attorney, Rajender Law Offices, Danville, CA
- Carolyn Chalmers (in absentia), Director of the Office for Conflict Resolution, University of Minnesota
- Closing Remarks
6:45 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Dorsey Foyer & Auerbach Common
Friday, October 8, 2010
Lockhart Hall (Room 25)
9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
From the Classroom to the Courts: The Battlegrounds of Affirmative Action, Sex Discrimination, and Title IX
- Stacy Leeds, Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Professor of Law and Director of the Tribal Law & Government Center, University of Kansas School of Law
- Angela Onwuachi-Willig, Professor of Law and Charles M. and Marion J. Kierscht Scholar, University of Iowa College of Law
- Director Regina Sullivan, Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief of Staff/Senior Woman Administrator, University of Minnesota
- Ms. Andriel Dees, Chief Diversity Officer, University of Wisconsin River Falls Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Facilitator: Mary Anne Case, Arnold Shure Professor of Law, University of Chicago Law School
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Breaking the Glass Ceiling: Women in Science, Technology, and Medicine
- Dr. Abigail Stewart, Professor of Psychology and Women's Studies, Director of U-M ADVANCE Program at the Institute for Research on Women and Gender, University of Michigan
- Dr. Mary Simmerling, Assistant Professor of Public Health and Research Integrity Officer, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY
- Dr. Bonnie Holub, Founder and CEO, Adventium Labs, Minneapolis, MN
- Dr. Carline Quander, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Dr. Sylvia Daunert, Chair of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami
- Facilitator: Dr. Linda Kinkel, Professor of Plant Pathology, University of Minnesota
12:30 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
Beyond Rajender: Pay Equity 30 Years Later
- Dr. Patricia Frazier, McKnight Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota
- Dr. Linda Kinkel, Professor of Plant Pathology, University of Minnesota
- Michele Goodwin, Everett Fraser Professor of Law & Professor of Medicine and Public Health, University of Minnesota Law School
- Dr. Caroline Hayes, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Facilitator: Professor Dayna Matthew, Vice Dean, University of Colorado Law School
1:25 p.m. - 2:40 p.m.
Diversity in Higher Education: When and Where We Enter
- Dorothy Brown, Professor of Law, Emory Law
- Dr. Patricia Jones Blessman, Clinical Psychologist
- Carol Chomsky, Professor of Law, University of MN Law School
- Kris Lockhart, Associate Vice President for Equity and Diversity, University of Minnesota
- Director Kim Chandler, Director of Athletics, Macalester College
- Facilitator: Professor Michelle Oberman, Santa Clara Law School
2:45 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Women in Higher Education: A New Era of Leadership
- Dean Phoebe Haddon, Dean and Professor of Law, The University of Maryland School of Law
- Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, President of Spelman College, Atlanta, GA
- Dr. Jessie Ann Owens, Dean of the Division of Humanities, Arts and Cultural Studies in the College of Letters and Science and Professor of Music, University of California – Davis
- Facilitator: Professor Michele Goodwin, Everett Fraser Professor of Law & Professor Medicine and Public Health, University of Minnesota Law School
CLE bias credits have been requested.
This conference is co-sponsored by: The University of Minnesota Academic Health Center (AHC), Department of Psychology, College of Science and Engineering (CSE) and the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
For hotel accommodations, visit