Minnesota Pre-Law Scholars (MPLS) Program
Preparing historically underrepresented students for the LSAT exam and the law school admissions process.
Program Overview and Eligibility
College students considering law school, especially rising-seniors and those from groups historically underrepresented in law school, are encouraged to apply. The program is open to undergraduate students and recent graduates from any undergraduate institution.
Students will learn about law school admissions preparation from Minnesota Law School staff. The remaining portion of class taught by an instructor from The Princeton Review, will be dedicated to LSAT preparation and practice exams.
Admission to the program is limited to approximately 25 participants and is competitive based on a holistic assessment of the application material. Participants will be asked to complete evaluations and surveys at the end of the program and at several points in the future.
All classes are held at the University of Minnesota Law School on Tuesdays and Thursdays from June-August 2016 (exact dates to be determined). The majority of the class consists of in-person, Princeton Review-led LSAT instruction. A portion of the class consists of other law school preparation and typically includes a presentation from Minnesota Law Career Center staff, a panel discussion with current law students and alumni, and the opportunity to meet with Admissions Counselors.
There is no cost but participants are asked to submit a $100 seat deposit, which is fully refundable upon successful completion of the program. All books and study materials will be provided.
Attendance & Study Time
Attendance is mandatory and will be taken at each session. Success in this program is largely dependent on outside study, and students are expected to study 15–20 hours a week outside of class.
Students who are accepted into the program are required to submit a $100 seat deposit on the first day of class. This seat deposit must come in the form of a check. The deposit is fully refundable (check to be mailed in September) upon successful completion of this program. Successful completion is defined as:
- Being present at orientation (May/June 2016–exact date to be determined)
- Missing no more than two classes/practice exams
- Making up a missed class or practice exam within one week of the original date
- Attending one scheduled individual appointment with staff during the summer
- Completing all homework by the due date, with the exception of two assignments (must be made up within one week of original due date)
- Completing assignments as assigned by staff on time, with the exception of one assignment (must be completed within one week of original due date)
- Arriving to class on time, with two exceptions (anytime later than 20 minutes will be defined as an absence)
- Reporting all practice test scores to The Princeton Review and the Admissions Office
Application Timeline (for Summer 2016)–Exact Dates to be determined
- January 2016 – MPLS application available
- April 30, 2016 – MPLS applications due
- Early May 2016 – Decisions will be emailed to all applicants
- Early June 2016 – First day of class (seat deposits due)
- Mid-August 2016 – Last day of class
- Fall 2016 – Seat deposits are sent back to MPLS students who successfully completed the program
Applications will be reviewed by Law School Admissions staff and are designed to provide additional information on a candidate’s maturity, judgment, communication, analytical skills and motivation to pursue a legal education. The Admissions Committee will complete a holistic assessment of all application materials. Applicants for MPLS are responsible for the complete submission of the following materials to email@example.com by the April 30, 2016 deadline:
- Completed and signed application form
- Completed essays 1–3
- Unofficial transcript from degree granting school
- Letter of recommendation (optional)
Completed applications may be emailed/scanned (preferred) or mailed to:
University of Minnesota Law School
290 Walter F. Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455