Our Community: Active and Committed
Minnesota Law cultivates diverse academic, collegial, and community networking opportunities for students through a wide array of student-led events convened by student affinity organizations and groups that sponsor a large number of diversity, equity, and inclusion-focused events each year.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion News
Yu Zhang ’19 Wins Minnesota Law’s Equity and Diversity Award
Congratulations to J.D. graduate Yu Zhang for being named Minnesota Law’s 2019 recipient of the Equity and Diversity Award. As a fellow student fittingly notes, Yu is “an enthusiastic, motivating, and inspiring community leader who truly cares about the well-being of her peers.” While growing up in the Northern Shanxi Province of China, Yu “was the person classmates came to when they had disputes or difficulties and the one who organized the class to protest against a teacher’s misconduct.” That early advocacy expanded to her efforts to highlight economic inequities in her community, and to later pursue public law studies at the Peking University Law School in Beijing. Read full story.
Student Spotlight: Navin Ramalingam, Rising 2L
Navin Ramalingam was born and raised in the city of Chennai in southern India. Prior to law school, he was a business consultant at Deloitte and Ernst & Young. This summer, he is working at Gray Plant Mooty in Minneapolis. He currently serves on the Law School’s Wellness Initiative and is a student member of the Diversity Committee. He enjoys biking, running, reading, and traveling. Read Q&A.
Diversity Committee Student Takeover of Instagram
In March, 1L Catherine Ulrich, a student member of the Diversity Committee, led a social media takeover of the Law School’s Instagram account that focused on ways students and the Law School are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Cat profiled students, committees, student organizations, and events.
Check out our Instagram to see the first successful takeover by students!
Faculty Perspectives on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Catherine Ulrich, 1L, recently interviewed Professor Neha Jain and Professor Chris Roberts about the faculty perspective of equity, diversity, and inclusion at the Law School.
Wellness and Wellbeing
Welcome & Wellness Room
Minnesota Law offers several ways for students, staff, and faculty to engage with the Law School and surrounding communities. However, we know that self-care is also important.
Minnesota Law offers a Welcome and Wellness room in N20. Students can relax in a quiet space, take yoga, read, or meditate during the day.
PAWS: Pet Away Worries and Stress
Stressed out? Come de-stress and forget about your worries with Boynton Health. PAWS sessions feature registered therapy animal teams—including dogs, bunnies, chickens, and other therapy animals like cats, miniature horses, Guinea pigs and fancy rats—that you are welcome to interact with and pet.
Check Minnesota Law’s Event Calendar for the schedule of PAWS sessions at the Law School. Sessions are FREE and open to the University of Minnesota community.
Additional Student Resources
Managing stress and addressing personal or health barriers are keys to success in law school and legal practice. Minnesota Law encourages students to seek help for personal, family, academic, or health challenges that arise during law school. Additional student support resources are always available to our community.
Students also expand their networks by connecting with such Twin Cities-based professional groups as the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers, Minnesota Women Lawyers, and the Minnesota American Indian Bar Association. Minnesota Law alumni are well represented in these organizations and provide mentoring to our students.
Minnesota Law Affinity Groups
- Asian Pacific American Law Student Association (Yu Zhang, email@example.com)
- Black Law Students Association (Abyan Gurase, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jewish Law Students Association (Pheobe MacDhubhain, email@example.com)
- Latinx Law Students Association (Eduardo Castro, firstname.lastname@example.org; Michelle Cardona Vinasco, email@example.com)
- Muslim Law Students Association (Khansaa Nadeem, firstname.lastname@example.org; Donald Simmons, email@example.com)
- Native American Services Project (Michelina Lucia, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OutLaw (Derek Waller, email@example.com)
- Voices for Immigration Student Association (Kimberly Medina, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Women’s Law Student Association (Caroline Schmitz, email@example.com)
Professional Affinity Groups
- Hmong American Bar Association
- Minnesota American Indian Bar Association
- Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association Diversity Committee
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Somali American Bar Association
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice