Student doing yoga in wellness space

Wellness & Wellbeing

Minnesota Law is committed to supporting students’ wellbeing by offering support and wellness initiatives. The American Bar Association recently released a Report from the National Task Force on Lawyer Well-Being which revealed that lawyers and law students experience high rates of chronic stress and high rates of substance abuse.

Managing stress and addressing personal or health barriers are keys to success in law school and legal practice. Like the American Bar Association, state bar authorities, and the legal profession more broadly, the Minnesota Law encourages students to seek help for personal, family, academic, or health challenges that arise during law school. In fact, the Law School’s Learning Outcomes highlight as fundamental the need for students - and future attorneys - to “Seek and use resources where necessary to address personal challenges.”

To equip students to conveniently access University-based supports, the Law School provides private meeting space in Mondale Hall for colleagues from the University’s Disability Resource Center, Office of Student Finance, and Student Counseling Services, as well as Minnesota Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers. Other resources are available on campus, via public transportation around the Twin Cities, and by phone.

Wellness and Wellbeing for Law Students

Wellness and Community Resources


  • Earl E. Bakken Center for Spirituality & Healing: Our partners at The Bakken Center have a trove of great wellbeing resources to offer the University community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Six ways to reduce coronavirus stress from experts at University of Minnesota Extension
  • Wellbeats is an online fitness provider that delivers hundreds of programs, including fitness classes, recipes, challenges, and mindfulness practices. All University employees can use Wellbeats for free until April 30 by using code 1787d0c3. You can receive one wellbeing point a day in RedBrick Track or complete a Wellbeing My Way pledge on the portal.
  • Staying physically active while homebound can be challenging. VirginPulse offers this inventive web page of virtual dice to roll for random exercises to perform at home, with short demonstration videos. VirginPulse also has a handy work-from-home tip sheet.
  • The National Wellness Institute posted several thoughtful questions to ask ourselves as we self-isolate.
  • Sleep can be healing in times of stress. The New York Times published a story recently on how a good night’s rest can be invaluable for self-care.

Food Resources

LGBTQ+ Resources

Ranked one of the Top 25 LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges and Universities in the nation, the University of Minnesota offers many resources to support our robust LGBTQ+ community.

University & Local Resources

The Well-Being Initiative

students in courtyardThe Well-Being Initiative (WBI) is a student-led program working to improve the wellbeing of students in Mondale Hall. WBI conducts a student well-being survey each semester, connects students to their community through a peer mentorship program, organizes and hosts events and programs for the law school community, and collaborates with faculty and the administration to promote institutional and classroom practices that bolster well-being. Through WBI, students have the opportunity to engage with well-being on a variety of levels, including two pathways to transcript milestones for students who are interested in getting more involved. To learn more about WBI, including how to get involved, visit

The Diversity and Belonging Affinity Council

The Diversity & Belonging Affinity Council’s mission is to promote a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment for all students, including those from underrepresented communities, and equip all students with the skills to develop cultural competence and ability to mitigate individual and systemic bias in the legal profession.

Chaired by Assistant Dean of Students Erin Keyes ’00, the Council includes Nubia Esparza, Senior Coordinator of Diversity & Student Programs, Simona Suen, Senior Recruiting and Diversity Coordinator, and student leaders from Minnesota Law’s affinity student organizations.

The Council creates pathways for involvement and input from the student community, collaborates on programming and our ongoing discussion series, and provides feedback to the Racial Equity & Justice Committee. Read more about the Diversity and Belonging Affinity Council.

Student Affairs Advising

Student Affairs advising is available to all students who may need help and support for personal or health challenges, exploring academic options, or addressing sensitive concerns. Please email the Assistant Dean of Students general account at to request a meeting.

Student Support Resources

Student Support Referral Form
Are you worried about a current law student? In addition to contacting 911 immediately for an urgent health or safety issue, we encourage you to share information with the Law School’s Student Affairs office that will equip us to follow-up with students who are experiencing personal, academic, or health-related challenges. Use the Student Support Referral Form to provide as much or as little information as you wish. If you don’t want to share specifics but at least put us on alert for possible concerns about a particular student, you can simply provide the student’s name.

Addiction & Recovery

University Alcohol and Drug Misuse Information

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers (LCL)
651-646-5590 or 866-525-6466

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers (LCL) provides a free, confidential Lawyers Assistance Program for Minnesota lawyers, judges, law students and their immediate family members. This program offers help to those affected by alcohol, drugs and other addictions; depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses; stress and other life-related problems; and any condition that negatively affects the quality of one’s life at work or at home.

Hazelden Betty Ford - Legal Professionals Program
651-213-4200 or 800-257-7810

Hazelden Betty Ford’s specialized private program for lawyers and law students offers comprehensive evaluation, diagnostic and addiction treatment services to prepare each patient for lifelong recovery and the ability to practice law.

Open 12-Step/Big Book Meeting

Open to any law student with a desire to stop an addictive practice, or concerned about the addiction of a friend or family member.

Conflict Resolution

Student Conflict Resolution Center
254 Appleby Hall (East Bank)

The Student Conflict Resolution Center offers informal and formal conflict resolution services to resolve students’ university-based problems and concerns. An ombudsman provides confidential, neutral and informal options. An advocate is available to assist students in formal grievance or disciplinary proceedings.

Counseling & Advising

Student Counseling Services (SCS)
340 Appleby Hall (East Bank)

The University’s SCS aims to promote the personal, career and academic growth of students through individual and group counseling for a range of concerns, including academic difficulties, career uncertainties, relationship issues, cultural matters and other personal concerns. SCS also offers many self-help materials that can be useful for law students, and SCS Counselor Korry Arndt-Wenger ( provides on-site counseling in Mondale Hall by appointment.

Crisis / Urgent Consultation

Weekday Campus Resources

Student Counseling Services
Walk-in crisis counseling available Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM at 340 Appleby Hall. Phone consultation available at 612-624-3323 during those hours.

Boynton Mental Health Services
Urgent counselors available Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the Boynton Mental Health Clinic. Call 612-625-8475 to speak with an urgent counselor or come to the Mental Health Clinic on the fourth floor of Boynton Health Service located on the East Bank at 410 Church Street SE. These services are not the same as those available in an emergency room and should not be substituted for a situation requiring immediate intervention. There may be a wait to speak with an urgent counselor.

After-Hours Support

  • In a life-threatening emergency, call 911
  • 24-hour University of Minnesota Support
    • Phone Crisis Line: 612-301-4673
    • Text: ”UMN” to 61222
  • Minnesota Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers crisis line: 866-525-6466

Crisis Facilities

*Hennepin County Acute Psychiatric Services and the University of Minnesota Medical Center Fairview charge for their services and you may be billed. Hours vary.

Disability Accommodations

The Law School Dean of Students Office partners with the University of Minnesota’s Disability Resource Center (DRC) to collaboratively address educational barriers, provide reasonable accommodations, and provide education on disability-related issues. Students seeking accommodations first register with the DRC, which reviews medical documentation and assesses barriers. The DRC engages in an interactive process with the Dean of Students Office to determine what academic modifications are reasonable in the Law School setting, and support the goal of preparing students for law practice. To preserve privacy and blind grading protocols, students seeking accommodations should refer questions to the DRC or Law School Dean of Students Office, not to individual faculty members.

How to Register with the Disability Resource Center

​​Reach out to with any changes in your condition, as well as with questions or concerns about current accomodations.

  1. Contact to schedule a confidential initial appointment
  2. Meet with a DRC Access Consultant
    Sue Minder and Joe Cook are the DRC Access Consultants who work with Law Students. During this appointment you will discuss the impacts and barriers you experience related to your health or disability condition(s).
  3. Obtain documentation
    If you have documentation that describes your health or disability condition, please bring it to the initial appointment, email it to or fax it to the DRC at 612-626-9654. Please come to your appointment as scheduled, even if you do not have documentation, as the DRC may be able to assist you in obtaining it.
  4. Attend initial appointment
    Sue or Joe will explore how your health or disability impacts your academic experience. If reasonable accommodations are appropriate for you, they will be outlined in a letter, which you will give to the Dean of Students office.
  5. Share accommodation letter    
    Email your accommodation letter to the Dean of Students office at to begin the interactive process of determining which accommodations will be appropriate in your Law courses and how they will be implemented.
  6. Contact to request an updated accommodation letter each semester you plan to use accommodations
  7. Stay connected with your Access Consultant
    Reach out to with any changes in your condition, as well as with questions or concerns about current accommodations.

The Interactive Process

The University of Minnesota is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in courses, programs, services, and activities in a timely manner. Reasonable accommodations for students in the post-secondary setting may include academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and reasonable modifications to policies. Determining and arranging academic accommodations is a partnership between the student, the Dean of Students office, and the DRC.

The Student Role
  • Be prepared to describe the impacts of your disability and the barriers you encounter.
  • Discuss skills, strategies, and resources you already have in place.
  • Request accommodations in a timely manner, not after-the-fact; retroactive accommodations are not provided.
  • Request accommodations each semester you wish to use them.
  • Stay in contact with your Access Consultant and the Dean of Students office as needed throughout the semester.
The DRC Access Consultant’s Role
  • Work with the students and the Dean of Students office to identify barriers to accessing the course, program, service, or activity.
  • Recommend reasonable accommodations that mitigate impact of the barriers but do not fundamentally alter the essential functions of the course, program, service, or activity.
The Dean of Students Office Role
  • Consult with individual faculty, as needed, to clarify essential elements of curriculum and explore reasonable accommodations.
  • Share their knowledge of the essential elements of the course or program.
  • Contact the Disability Resource Center’s access consultant if they believe that the recommended academic accommodations compromise the essential requirements of a course/program or fundamentally alter a course/program.
  • Work with the students and faculty to implement accommodations.

What is a Reasonable Accommodation?

An accommodation is a modification that is made to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that eliminates or minimizes disability-related barriers to allow equitable access. There is often more than one way to accommodate a situation or activity. In order for an accommodation to be considered reasonable, however, it must meet four criteria:

  1. It must not compromise essential requirements of a course, program, job, activity, or facility.
  2. It must not cause an undue administrative or financial hardship.
  3. It must not compromise safety of the student or others.
  4. It must not fundamentally alter a course or program.

An Access Consultant will work with you and the Dean of Students office to determine if an accommodation is reasonable. Different courses may require different accommodations. Each accommodation plan is tailored to the individual student and their courses. For example, some accommodations may be useful in a classroom while others may be useful in a Clinic setting.

Documentation Guidelines

Documentation is confidential information from an appropriately qualified health or other service professional who is knowledgeable about your condition. This professional might be a therapist, doctor, rehabilitation counselor, audiologist, nurse practitioner, or mobility specialist.  Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the condition currently affects you, especially in an academic environment. Here are some examples of useful documentation:

  • Psycho-educational evaluation
  • Neuropsychological assessment
  • Individualized Educational Plan (IEP)
  • 504 Plan
  • Vocational assessment
  • Information on previous use of accommodations
  • Statement from health or other service professional
  • Mobility assessment

The Access Consultant uses documentation to better understand your disability, identify impacts in an academic setting, and make informed decisions to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations. If you do not have documentation of your disability, your Access Consultant may be able to assist you in obtaining it.

For more information about the Disability Resource Center, Information for Faculty, or explanation of the Grievance Process please visit the Disability Resource Center website at:

Bar Exam and Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam Accommodations

Guidelines for requesting testing accommodations on the Bar Exam and the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) differ from the requirements at the University, and vary by the state in which a graduate sits for the Bar Exam. Please take time to review documentation guidelines for each exam you plan to take. In many cases, you must provide updated documentation that is more substantial than the DRC requires. For more information, visit these resources:

Diversity & Inclusion

Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
274 McNamara Alumni Center (East Bank)

The University of Minnesota’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) was founded in 1972 to ensure that all University community members uphold federal and state civil rights laws and regulations, as well as University equal opportunity policies.

Family and Parenting Resources

Student Parent HELP Center
24 Appleby Hall (East Bank)

The HELP Center is primarily an undergraduate service program but is willing to consult or provide referrals to graduate students with family needs.

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Resources

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally (GLBTA) Programs Office
46 Appleby Hall (East Bank)

The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally (GLBTA) Programs Office is dedicated to improving campus climate for all University of Minnesota constituents by developing and supporting more inclusive understandings of gender and sexuality. The GLBTA Programs Office seeks to build and bridge communities that welcome and affirm people to be their whole selves, honoring their multiple identities and life experiences.

Health Services, General

Boynton Health Service
410 Church Street SE (East Bank Clinic)

Boynton Health Service is a primary health care provider serving University of Minnesota students, staff and faculty, as well as people in the community. Boynton provides quality, comprehensive health care services, counseling and education, beyond the scope of most primary health care clinics: primary and urgent care; mental health services; dental and eye clinics; pharmacy needs; women’s health; physical and massage therapy; and health promotions such as flu shots and nutrition services.

International Students

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
190 Humphrey School (West Bank)

ISSS is the office dedicated to serving the University of Minnesota’s international community. Its mission is to assist international students and scholars in successfully accomplishing the goals that brought them to the University, by using all available resources.

Legal Assistance

University Student Legal Service
160 West Bank Skyway (West Bank)

The University Student Legal Service (USLS) offers legal services and education to students. It was founded by students in 1976, is funded by students, and is run by a student administrative board. All legal services are provided by experienced legal professionals, some more than 30 years of experience representing students.

Mental Health Resources

University of Minnesota Student Mental Health Website

Boynton Mental Health Clinic
410 Church Street SE (East Bank Clinic)
612-624-1444; Urgent Mental Health Consultation: 612-625-8475

The Mental Health Clinic at Boynton is open to degree-seeking students who pay the mandatory Student Services Fee. The Mental Health Clinic offers a variety of services, such as individual, couples and group psychotherapy, medication assessment and management, urgent consultation (phone or in person), social work assistance, and chemical health assessment and treatment. For most eligible degree-seeking students, the first visit to the mental health clinic has no copayment. Additional visits typically require a $10 copayment.

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers (LCL)
651-646-5590 or 866-525-6466

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers (LCL) provides a free, confidential Lawyers Assistance Program for Minnesota lawyers, judges, law students and their immediate family members. This program offers help to those affected by alcohol, drugs and other addictions; depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses; stress and other life-related problems; and any condition that negatively affects the quality of one’s life at work or at home.

Recreation & Wellness

University Recreation & Wellness
123 Harvard St. SE (East Bank Recreation and Wellness Center)

All University of Minnesota students paying the Student Services Fee have automatic membership to RecWell facilities.  Simply bring your U Card to the facility of your choice and enjoy your membership privileges. RecWell programs include personal and group fitness training, aquatics, golf, outdoor recreation, intramurals and sports clubs.

Sexual Assault, Harassment & Stalking

Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education
117 Appleby Hall (East Bank)
612-626-2929; 24-Hour Helpline: 612-929-9111

The Aurora Center provides free and confidential crisis intervention to victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and harassment. The Aurora Center is a place for ALL people affiliated with the University of Minnesota impacted or concerned about sexual or relationship violence. TAC accepts walk-in clients their advocates are trained sexual assault crisis counselors and can assist you with support, resources and available options.

Veterans Resources

National Mental Health Day for Law Schools, an initiative of the ABA Law Student Division with support from the ABA Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs (CoLAP)

Recommendations for Law Schools, an excerpt from The Path to Lawyer Well-Being: Practical Recommendations for Positive Change, by the National Task Force on Lawyer Well-Being
The Key to Law Student Well-Being? We Have to Love Our Law Students, by David B. Jaffe, National Association for Law Placement PD Quarterly (February 2018)

The Elephant in the Room: The Legal Profession, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse (recording of live Stanford Law School program that took place on Feb. 8, 2018)

Law school stress: It’s not about you, and it’s all about you, by Jeff Fortgang and Shawn Healy (Before the Bar Blog, ABA Law Student Division, Feb. 27, 2018)

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Toolkit for Law Students and Those Who Care About Them, a collaborative effort of CoLAP, the ABA Law Student Division, and the Dave Nee Foundation.

Well-Being Pledge

In 2019 Minnesota Law took the Well-Being Pledge (promoted by the ABA’s Working Group to Advance Well-Being in the Legal Profession), joined the Minnesota Supreme Court in its Call to Action for Lawyer Well-Being, and partnered with student groups and other University departments to make support services more accessible to West Bank students.

Contact Us

Student Affairs

N160 Mondale Hall
P: 612-625-2456
F: 612-625-2824

Contact Information

University of Minnesota Law School

Walter F. Mondale Hall | 229 19th Avenue South | Minneapolis, MN 55455

P: 612-625-5000

Email Us

Connect on Social Media