- Associate Professor of Law
- Vance Opperman Research Scholar
Jessica Clarke was a professor at the University of Minnesota Law School until 2017 when she moved to Vanderbilt University Law School.
Professor Jessica Clarke’s research focuses on issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Her work has received the Dukeminier Award for the best legal scholarship on sexual orientation and gender identity and has been selected for the Harvard/Stanford/Yale Junior Faculty Forum. Her recent publications have appeared in the Yale Law Journal, New York University Law Review, California Law Review, Michigan Law Review, and Duke Law Journal. In the fall of 2016, she was the Walter V. Schaefer Visiting Professor at the University of Chicago Law School.
After graduating from Yale Law School, Professor Clarke clerked for Judge Shira Scheindlin of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and Judge Rosemary Pooler of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. She also worked as an associate in the New York office of Covington & Burling LLP and spent two years teaching at Columbia Law School as an associate-in-law.
Professor Clarke teaches Constitutional Law, Civil Procedure, and Employment Discrimination. In 2016, she was named the Stanley V. Kinyon Teacher of the Year.
For further information on Professor Clarke, please consult her curriculum vitae.
They, Them, and Theirs, Harvard Law Review (forthcoming 2019)
Explicit Bias, Northwestern University Law Review (forthcoming 2018)
- Feminism and the Tournament, 96 Texas Law Review Online 42 (2018)
- Protected Class Gatekeeping, 92 New York University Law Review 101 (2017)
- Frontiers of Sex Discrimination Law, 115 Michigan Law Review 809 (2017) (reviewing Kimberly Yuracko, Gender Nonconformity and the Law (Yale University Press, 2016))
- Against Immutability, 125 Yale Law Journal 2 (2015)
- Identity and Form, 103 California Law Review 747 (2015)
- Inferring Desire, 63 Duke Law Journal 525 (2013)
- Beyond Equality? Against the Universal Turn in Workplace Protections, 86 Indiana Law Journal 1219 (2011)
Liability under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, 40(2) Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation 13 (2007)
- Adverse Possession of Identity: Radical Theory, Conventional Practice, 84 Oregon Law Review 563 (2005)