Government and Law-Related Websites
Direct feedback on this page to email@example.com
|Legislative Branch: constitution, statutes & legislative information|
|Executive Branch: governor’s office, agency rules & information, attorney general, etc.|
|Judicial Branch: court opinions, rules & information|
|Local Government: county, city, township, special district and regional government|
|Minnesota.gov: official state portal to government information and services|
|Minnesota Law-Related Periodicals: law school, bar and commercial publications|
|LawMoose: a web search engine that covers hundreds of legal websites in Minnesota|
|Minnesota Bar Associations|
|Minnesota Bar Admissions & Bar Exam Information|
|Minnesota Law Libraries & Related Associations|
Legislative Branch: Statutes, Session Laws, Bills, etc.
- Minnesota State Legislature Home Page
- Minnesota State Constitution and State Constitutional Amendments Considered
- Minnesota Statutes and Previous Editions of Minnesota Statutes (back to the 1851 Territorial Statutes)
- Minnesota Session Laws (archived back to the 1st Territorial Legislature in 1849)
- Legislation & Bill Status/Tracking Information
- How a Bill Becomes Law in Minnesota
- Minnesota Legislative History Step by Step (Minnesota Legislative Reference Library)
A guide to Minnesota legislative history research.
- Resources on Minnesota Legislative Issues (Minnesota Legislative Reference Library)
- House Research (Minnesota House of Representatives Research Department)
- Office of the Revisor of Statutes
Executive Branch: Governor, Departments., Agencies, Rules, etc.
- Minnesota State Rules
- Minnesota State Register (current issue and archive of past issues to Oct. 6, 1997, vol. 22 no. 14)
- State Agencies,Boards, Commissions
Includes state boards, councils, commissions, councils, committees, ombudsmen offices and task forces.
- Rulemaking in Minnesota: A Guide .pdf (Office of the Revisor of Statutes)
Intended for agencies as a reference to the law and rules that govern each step of the rule making process.
- Office of the Minnesota Attorney General and Minnesota Attorney General Opinions
- Office of the Governor and Executive Orders Archive (1968 to present)
- Minnesota Secretary of State
Judicial Branch: Opinions & Court-Related Information
Minnesota Supreme Court & Court of Appeals
- Minnesota State Court System Home Page
- The Minnesota Judiciary: A Guide for Legislators .pdf
“Provides and overview of the relationships among components of the court system and between the state court system, the legislature, and the federal courts. Also describes personnel that work for the judicial branch and how their work is funded.”
- Minnesota Supreme Court Opinions and Court of Appeals Opinions Archive
Coverage: Supreme Court opinions and orders (May 2,1996-present); Court of Appeals published and unpublished opinions (May 7, 1996-present).
- Minnesota Appellate Briefs Archive
Includes appellate briefs from civil cases that resulted in published opinions. Coverage started with volume 705 of the Northwestern Reporter 2d (2005).
- Minnesota Court of Appeals: Standards of Review .pdf
Written and periodically updated by Minnesota appellate court judges, this document is “intended as a tool for finding and applying various standards of review. Citations to applicable case law are provided.
- Minnesota Tax Court
Decisions, court rules, forms, pro se information.
- Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Court of Appeals
Decisions (1999- current), court rules.
Minnesota District (Trial) Courts on the Web
- District Courts Home Page
Includes a state map of Minnesota’s ten judicial districts and a list of counties within each judicial district. Links are provided to the court web page for each county and/or links to each county’s home page.
- Minnesota Trial Court Public Access Remote view (MPA Remote)
An online case inquiry tool for statewide electronic case records. MPA Remote Displays case information for public viewing, including register of actions, calendars, judgments, and orders and notices prepared by the court. Internet Explorer is required to use this service.
- Self-Help Center (Minnesota District Courts)
“A place where you can find helpful information, services and resources about our legal problem if you are not represented by an attorney. The Self Help Centers assist people who represent themselves in the Minnesota District Courts.
- Court Rules (Minnesota State Court System)
Includes the text of recent amendments to court rules.
Local Government Information: City, County, Special Districts, etc.
Home Page || Ordinances & Charter || Mayor’s Office || City Council || City Attorney
- St. Paul:
Home Page || Charter, Code of Ordinances & Administrative Codes || Mayor’s Office || City Council || City Attorney
- Minnesota County & Municipal Ordinances (MN State Law Library)
- Local Government in Minnesota (Minnesota.gov)
Links to home pages of county, city, township, special district, regional bodies and other local government entities as well as local government associations and organizations.
- Cities, Towns and Counties - Legal Topics (MN State Law Library)
- Association of Minnesota Counties
- League of Minnesota Cities
- Minnesota Association of Townships
Selected Minnesota Law-Related Periodicals
- Bench & Bar of Minnesota
MN State Bar’s monthly journal; includes author & subject index (1995-present and archive of articles Nov./Dec. 1998-present).
- Minnesota Lawyer
“A weekly newspaper covering Minnesota’s courts and legal community.” Includes archives of articles (1999-present). See Reference Office for access.
- Politics in Minnesota - Capitol Report a.k.a. the St. Paul Legal Ledger
Covers state capitol and public policy news and issues. Published twice weekly.
- Finance and Commerce
Business news, including construction and development, commercial real estate, banking & finance, and more. Focus on Minneapolis business news including public notices.
- University of Minnesota Law School Law Journals
Information, including links to tables of contents (and in some cases abstracts and full-text articles).
- Mitchell Hamline School Law Journals
- University of St. Thomas School Law Journals
- Minnesota Legal Periodical Index (Web-MLPI)
Covers Minnesota law school, bar association and commercial publications as early as 1984. Links to full-text articles when available on the web. A collaborative effort of the Minnesota State Law Library and Pritchard Law Webs, publisher of LawMoose!
Minnesota Bar Associations
State & County (Twin Cities Metro) Bar Associations
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Anoka County Bar Association (ACBA)
- Hennepin County Bar Association (HCBA)
- Ramsey County Bar Association (RCBA)
- Washngton County Bar Association (WCBA)
Other Bar Associations
- Association of Corporate Counsel - Minnesota Chapter
- Federal Bar Association - Minnesota Chapter
- American Immigration Lawyers Association - Minnesota-Dakotas Chapter
- Minnesota American Indian Bar Association Includes information on Minnesota tribal courts.
- Minnesota Association for Justice (formerly Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association)
- Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Minnesota County Attorneys Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association - MDLA
- Minnesota Hispanic Bar Association - MHBA
- Minnesota Lavender Bar Association - MLBA
- Minnesota Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers Provides confidential mental health and substance abuse assistance for lawyers.
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
Minnesota Bar Admissions & Exam Information
- Minnesota State Board of Law Examiners
Includes bar admission information, rules, application forms, instructions, and bar exam results.
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) Information and online application.
- National Conference of Bar Examiners
Includes information and study aid information for the following exams: Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE), Multistate Performance Test (MPT) and the Multistate Essay Examination (MEE). Includes an online registration form for the MPRE.
- American Bar Association (ABA) - Bar Admissions page
Includes the full-text of the ABA publication, Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements.
Minnesota Law Libraries & Related Associations
Note: U of M law students are eligible to borrow materials from other law libraries in the Twin cities. Details here.
Academic Law Libraries
County Law Libraries (Twin Cities Metro)
- Anoka County Law Library
- Carver County Law Library
- Dakota County Law Library
- Hennepin County Law Library
- Ramsey County Law Library
- Scott County Law Library
- Washington County Law Library
Directory of County Law Libraries (Compiled by the Minnesota State Law Library)
- Minnesota Attorney General Library
- Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
- Minnesota State Law Library
CALCO Libraries (includes links to various state agency libraries)
Federal - 8th Circuit Law Libraries
- MALL - Minnesota Association of Law Libraries
- MCCLL - Minnesota Coalition of County Law Libraries
- AALL - American Association of Law Libraries and ALL-SIS’s Links to Academic Law Libraries
- CALCO - Capitol Area Library Consortium
- Special Libraries Association (SLA), SLA Legal Division, SLA Minnesota Chapter
- Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T)