State and Local
Government and Law-Related Websites
Excluding Minnesota. Send questions or comments to email@example.com
General Starting Points
- State Government Information (Library of Congress)
Links to Meta-Indexes and individual states
- State Legislatures, State Laws and State Regulations: Website Links & Phone Numbers (Law Librarians’ Society of Washington, D.C. - Legislative Research SIS)
- 50-State/Multi-Jurisdiction Surveys (Gallagher Law Library, Univ. of Washington)
Covers state laws and constitutions and foreign law resources.
- NCSL 50-State Searchable Bill Tracking Databases (National Conference of State Legislatures)
Covers over 30 topical areas of legislation. Updated weekly
- State Online Legal Information (AALL)
AALL and chapter volunteers researched primary legal materials in their states to determine if online legal materials are trustworthy and preserved for permanent public access. Information is provided about the online Administrative Code, Administrative Register, Statutes, Session Laws, High Court Opinions and Appellate Court Opinions in all 50 states and the District of Columbia in the following categories: Official status, authentication, preservation, permanent public access, coyright, universal citation.
- Hieros Gamos Compliation of U.S. States (Hieros Gamos)
- State Legislative History Research Guides Inventory
A collection of links to guides available on the web compiled by the Univ. of Indiana Bloomington, Jerome Hall Law Library.
- NBER/Maryland State Constitutions Project
Compiles the texts of the state constitutions of the U.S. (almost 150 state constitutions and roughly 12,0000 amendments). The texts may be searched by state, article number, and section number. You may also view any schedules or preambles associated with a particular state constitution.
- National Center for Interstate Compacts Database (National Center for Interstate Compacts)
Allows users to search more than 1,500 statutes for state-by-state interstate compact membership. Search via an interactive map or advanced search option. Compact statutory text available in PDF.
State Government Associations
- Council of State Governments
- National Association of Attorneys General
- National Association of Secretaries of State
- National Conference of State of Legislatures (NCSL)
- National Governors Association
State Courts: Opinions, Information & Associations
- National Center for State Courts (NCSC)
The NCSC is an independent, nonprofit court improvement organization. NCSC as a clearinghouse for research information and comparative data to support improvement in judicial administration in state courts. Includes a directory of state court web sites.
Administrative Codes & Registers
- Administrative Codes & Registers (National Association of Secretaries of State)
Includes links to administrative codes , registers and manual for U.S. states and territories, compiled by the NASS.
- National Association of Counties (NACo)
- Municipal Codes (Municipal Code Corporation)
Provides text of some municipal codes and ordinances arranged by state. Keyword search of multiple codes available.
- Municipal Codes on the Internet (General Code Publishers)
Provides text of some municipal codes and ordinances arranged by state. Search engine provided.
- United States Conference of Mayors
“The United States Conference of Mayors is the official non-partisan organization of cities with populations of 30,000 or more. There are over 1,400 such cities in the country today. Each city is represented in the Conference by its chief elected official, the mayor.”