How to Apply
Applicants must have completed (or be in the process of completing) the LL.M. degree at the University of Minnesota or elsewhere. Applicants whose native language is not English must also demonstrate proficiency in English, most commonly through achieving a score of 550/213/79-80 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Strong preference is given to candidates with TOEFL scores of 600/250/100. IELTS scores are also accepted.
The ideal S.J.D. candidate meets the above requirements and is a graduate of the University of Minnesota’s LL.M. program.
2017-18 Tuition and Fees*
|Tuition, fees, insurance & books||$57,300 estimated*|
|Living costs for 10 months||$15,000 estimated (for one person in modest accommodations)|
|Total for 2017-18||$72,300|
Applicants must demonstrate adequate financial support for their educational and living expenses prior to being admitted to the program.
*Tuition fees after the first year will be determined by the number of credits taken in subsequent years.
A completed application includes:
- application form and application fee
- official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (must be officially translated in English)
- two letters of recommendation
- personal statement
- proof of English proficiency demonstrated through adequate TOFEL or IELTS scores
- résumé or CV
- submission of a detailed dissertation proposal demonstrating that the dissertation will constitute an original and substantial contribution, of publishable quality, to legal scholarship
- submission of an extensive, high quality writing sample written in English to demonstrate the ability to engage in advanced research and writing
To apply for the 2017-18 S.J.D. Program:
Review of completed applications begins after the March 15 deadline. Qualified applicants may be interviewed by phone (or in person, if practical).