Applying as a Transfer or Visiting Student
The University of Minnesota Law School welcomes transfer and visiting students. Transfer and visiting applications become available in January and are due by August 1 for a fall semester start.
PLEASE NOTE SPECIAL DEADLINES FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS.
To petition for journals, submit completed application by May 1.
To participate in Off-Campus and/or On-Campus Interview programs, students must enroll by July 1. To apply as a Transfer or Visiting student, please register with the LSAC Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and submit the following through LSAC:
- Completed application—available on January 1
- Application fee of $60
- Personal statement explaining your interest in transferring to or visiting Minnesota Law; two pages, double-spaced
- Law school transcript containing at least your first semester grades, sent directly from your law school to LSAC. (The Admissions Committee reserves the right to reconsider admission decision upon receipt of final 1L transcript.)
- One letter of recommendation from a law school instructor, sent directly by the recommender to LSAC
- Final, official undergraduate transcript sent through the CAS
- LSAT score information as part of CAS report
Submit these items through your law school Registrar’s Office to Admissions at Minnesota Law:
- Letter of good standing (submit at time of application)
- Final 1L transcript with second semester grades—or most recent transcript if a Visiting student—to be received no later than August 1. (The Admissions Committee reserves the right to reconsider admission decision upon receipt of final 1L transcript.)
Official Law School transcript should be sent by Registrar to:
University of Minnesota Law School
N130 Mondale Hall
229 19th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55455
OR the transcript may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details, please review the Transfer and Visiting Student FAQs.
For information on how to apply as an LLM to JD transfer, please review the LLM to JD transfer application procedure