Student Forms

Address/Name Change

Visit MyU and click on My Info on the left. 

Application Amendment Request

In applications to the University of Minnesota Law School, students have a continuing duty to provide accurate, candid, and complete responses to all required questions. Applicants must fully disclose all past legal or academic misconduct, even if it occurred when the student was a minor or if records have been expunged. This disclosure obligation continues throughout a student’s legal education.

A student’s admission to the Law School may be revoked, or registration canceled, on the grounds of: providing false, misleading, or evasive responses on the initial application; or failure to formally report and amend an application to correct inaccuracies, omissions, or new incidents of misconduct.

Requests to amend an application to the Law School, whether to correct the initial application or to disclose misconduct that occurred after admission, must be made in writing through the FileApplication Amendment Request, and should be directed to the Assistant Dean of Students Office (scan and send to or direct hardcopies to our office). These requests for amendment, which may include supporting documentation where appropriate, should provide:

  • A complete statement of the updated or corrected facts;
  • A full explanation regarding why the information was not accurately or timely disclosed;
  • Additional documentation, if applicable; and
  • Any additional information that would permit the Law School to make a determination whether to accept the requested amendment or to cancel a student’s enrollment.

Students should be aware that in bar applications, they may be required to provide supporting documentation, or explain why such documentation is not available. If a student’s recollection of past misconduct is incomplete, due diligence should be employed to obtain documentation, and the student should keep a record of steps taken to contact the appropriate authority in the location where the incident took place, even if such documentation no longer exists.

Responses to requests to amend an application are made upon review of the amendment request, supporting documentation, and a review of the entire student file.

Bar Application and Certificate of Graduation

Bar Applications

Applying for the bar in Minnesota and other states is an extensive and time-consuming process. Admission requirements vary by state, and students are urged to research the requirements, timelines, and standards for the bar(s) of the state(s) in which they intend to apply at least six months in advance of the scheduled exam date. For a comprehensive guide to the bar application process from the National Conference of Bar Examiners, and for a list of links to bar admissions offices in all 50 states, visit:

For information about application to the Minnesota bar, see:

Certificates of Graduation (See Academic Rules 2-5)

State bars require that the Law School certify applicants as having met all Juris Doctor degree requirements in order to sit for the bar exam. The Law School Registrar’s Office tracks the deadlines and certification requirements for each state to which graduates intend to apply, and keeps detailed lists of certifications by state and by student. State bar certification forms are prepared by the Registrar’s Office based on students’ Graduation Assessment forms and their transcript records. Certifications are forwarded to the Dean or Dean’s delegate for signature, and then submitted directly to the bar examiners in each state.

Students intending to apply for the bar outside of Minnesota should submit the appropriate state bar certification form to the Registrar’s Office at least one month prior to the certification deadline. The Registrar’s Office carefully tracks the bar certification deadlines for each state bar in order to ensure that completed certifications are received in a timely fashion.

Until a bar applicant has completed all Juris Doctor degree requirements, the Law School cannot forward a bar certification, and the applicant may not be able to sit for the bar exam. Students with incomplete coursework are responsible for finishing all required assignments, and for following up with the faculty member and Registrar’s Office to ensure a grade is entered.

A Certificate of Graduation is a formal certification signed by the Dean of Academic Affairs certifying a student’s dates of enrollment, graduation date, degree, and attesting to the student’s character fitness. Certificates of Graduation are typically submitted to a states’ bar examiner’s office in order to verify a student’s /alumni’s legal education.

To request a Certificate of Graduation, complete the Microsoft Office document iconCertificate of Graduation Request Form, attach the state bar certification form if applicable, and mail or fax to the Office of Student Affairs. 

Requests should be addressed to:

Office of Student Affairs
University of Minnesota Law School
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Fax: (612) 625-2824

Character and Fitness

The Character and Fitness evaluation process is a critical part of bar admission in most states, and students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the expectations for practice early in their law school careers. To help with this, representatives of the Minnesota State Board of Law Examiners address first-year students at Orientation and again prior to students’ graduation in the third year. For information on their evaluation process, visit Minnesota’s Character and Fitness Requirements website. For admissions standards in other states, consult the applicable state bar admissions website.

Student records, including law school applications, may be reviewed by the Board of Law Examiners as part of the Character and Fitness evaluation process. Inconsistencies between the information disclosed on a student’s law school application and his or her bar application may subject the applicant to further scrutiny, and require an amendment to his or her law school application. Students seeking to amend their law school application should consult the Assistant Dean of Students.

Other bar admission questions and concerns of a confidential nature also may be addressed to the Assistant Dean of Students. Students are especially encouraged to meet with the Assistant Dean of Students early in their law school career if they have a history of alcohol or chemical dependency, criminal matters, academic misconduct, significant mental health impairments, or other concerns that may relate to the ability to meet requirements of practice. Students should note that no single condition or incident will automatically prevent admission to the bar; rather, bar examiners encourage students to directly address and treat any condition that may lead to a conduct concern or impair an individual’s ability to comply with practice standards.

Some states, including Minnesota, have also introduced a Conditional Admissions process, which allows a bar applicant with recent impairments to be admitted to practice under certain conditions and supervision. Evidence of current fitness and rehabilitation from past impairments are often important considerations in the Character and Fitness evaluation process. Therefore, seeking appropriate support or treatment is strongly encouraged.

Class Ranks & Quartiles

Class ranks are computed but not revealed to students or others except for qualifications for Order of the Coif (although ranking is not disclosed to students) and for the limited purpose of application for judicial clerkships or academic teaching positions.

To request your class rank you can use the online request form if you have an active UMN email account, or the downloadable pdf form: 

Class Rank Request Form - Secured, online (You must be logged into your UMN email account in order to access this online form.)
PDF iconClass Rank Request Form - Downloadable pdf ​


Students may report their academic performance by stating their cumulative GPA and noting which quartile they fall within, and providing the official reported GPA range for the applicable quartile.

PDF iconHistorical Quartiles 1990 - 2019

PDF iconCurrent Quartiles: Classes of 2020 and 2021

Credit Transfer Request for Combined Degree Students

Exam Variance Request

In rare circumstances, a law student may need to apply for a change to an examination. Log in using your UMN x.500 and password to complete the form:

  • Exam/Quiz Variance Application

Persons requiring an accessible version of the form for disability-related reasons should contact the Dean of Students Office at, or 621-625-2456.

Financial Aid Consortium

The Financial Aid Consortium Agreement is a three part document that allows the University of Minnesota’s Office of Student Finance (OSF) to calculate your financial aid award while you are on an approved course of study at another institution, either domestic or abroad. Even though you will be paying tuition to another institution, the University OSF will use the cost-of-attendance estimate from the other school when factoring your aid award. Please note that if you have been receiving scholarship funds for study here at the University of Minnesota Law School, these will not apply while you are enrolled through another institution. Questions about scholarship implications for study away can be referred to the Law School Admissions office.

Directions for Completing the Law School Consortium Agreement

  1. When the student has been accepted to a host institution and is fairly certain he or she will attend that program, the student completes all student portions of the 3-part Consortium Agreement, then routes as appropriate for additional information and signatures as follows:
    • Microsoft Office document iconConsortium Agreement Law: this page summarizes information about the host program, and reflects the number of credits you are approved to pursue at the other institution. This page requires a signature by the Law School’s Assistant Dean of Students;
    • Microsoft Office document iconConsortium Student Responsibilities: this form is reviewed and completed by the student studying away;
    • Microsoft Office document iconCost Estimate - Fall, Spring or Microsoft Office document iconCost Estimate - Summer, as appropriate: this form is forwarded to the host institution, which completes the information about cost of attendance and then returns with a signature to the student.
  2. Once all three portions of the Consortium Agreement are complete and signed, they should be routed to Jim Parker in the University of Minnesota’s Office of Student Finance:

    Jim Parker
    Office of Student Finance
    Graduate/Professional Unit
    University Of Minnesota, Twin Cities
    200 Fraser Hall
    106 Pleasant Street S.E.
    Minneapolis, MN 55455-0422
  3. The student should retain a copy of the Consortium documents for his or her records, and provide a copy to the Law School Office of Student Affairs to be placed with the student file. Questions regarding completion of these forms can be directed to or Jim Parker at

Independent Study & Field Placement

Under Academic Rule 10.5, JD students who have completed their first year of law school may earn a limited number of credits for unpaid independent study. Generally, “independent study” includes exercises that permit or require student participation in law-related writing, research, or other activities away from or outside the Law School, or in a format that does not involve attendance at regularly scheduled class sessions. The total number of independent study credits a student may earn is limited by Academic Rule 3.1. Independent study may include legal research and writing projects, or field placement projects in a legal setting. While similar to externships, field placements are set up on an ad hoc basis, usually with a faculty member who has some experience or expertise in the field placement practice area.

Registration Information:

For information on how to register, see the Course Guide pages for the Independent Research course and the PDF iconRules for Supervised Field Placements.

Letter of Good Standing

To qualify, a student must have a cumulative numerical GPA of 2.600 or higher, have not received a grade of “D” or “F” in a required course, or received a grade of “LP” in First Year Legal Writing and/or Law in Practice; or received two or more grades of “D” or “F” in a single semester, to be in good academic standing. A Letter of Good Standing is printed on Law School letterhead and signed by the Assistant Registrar. The letter confirms attendance, satisfactory progress and estimated term of graduation. Use the request a Letter of Good Standing online form (UMN.EDU login required) or download and complete the Microsoft Office document iconLetter of Good Standing request form and mail or fax to:

Office of Student Affairs
University of Minnesota Law School
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Fax: 612-625-2824

Non-Law Course Approval Form

Pursuant to Academic Rule 3.3(c), students who wish to apply non-Law coursework toward their JD degree must submit the Non-Law Course Approval Form (UMN.EDU login required) documenting that the coursework is “substantially law-related.” 

Also note that pursuant to Academic Rule 12.3, non-law coursework DOES NOT factor into calculation of a student’s official Minnesota Law grade point average (GPA), even if such courses are approved for JD credit under Rule 3.3. Grades earned in non-law coursework through the University of Minnesota will appear on the student record, but the grade points will not be included in the cumulative Law School GPA calculation.

Note that if you are a combined degree student seeking to transfer six credits from your partner program under Rule 3.3(d), then you should instead complete the “Credit Transfer Request” available elsewhere on this webpage.

Non-Law Student Petition for Law Courses

If you are non-degree-seeking at the University of Minnesota, review the PDF iconNon-Law Student Enrollment Policy for information about taking a law class.

Degree-seeking students enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or professional program at the University of Minnesota may enroll in selected law courses. To enroll, complete and submit the PDF iconNon-Law Student Petition for Law Courses to the Law School Registrar’s Office. The Registrar will manually enroll non-law students pending available space and instructor consent.

Reduced Enrollment Request

Download and print the FileReduced Enrollment Request and submit the completed form and an unofficial copy of your transcript to the Dean of Students office in room N160 Mondale Hall or scan to

Resident Classification

The University of Minnesota is supported by state taxes, and therefore gives tuition preference to residents of Minnesota. However, the University of Minnesota has tuition reciprocity agreements with several states and the Canadian province of Manitoba. PDF iconDownload information about residency and reciprocity and the Resident Classification form.

Student Practice Certification

Microsoft Office document iconDownload the Student Practice Information and the Certification form.

The Student Practice Rule adopted by the Minnesota Supreme Court allows students to represent government agencies and indigent clients in actual court and administrative agency proceedings under the supervision of a licensed attorney. The Student Practice Rules can be found in the Minnesota Rules of Court. There are two rules: Rule 1, General Student Practice and Rule 2, Clinical Student Practice.

To be eligible a student must be currently enrolled, have completed at least two semesters of full-time study (24 credits), and be in good academic standing (2.600 GPA). The rule also states that students must identify themselves as a student and be accepted by the client.

Rule 1 – General Practice Rule
Applies to students working for a government agency or appearing on behalf of an indigent client. It does not apply to students working at private law firms representing clients for a fee. Students who work for private firms that contract to act on behalf of a government agency may be certified. For example, a firm that contracts to complete public defender cases may ask that a student be certified to represent those clients.

The Rule states that the government agency or persons representing an indigent client must submit in writing to the student’s law school the student’s name and a statement that the student will be properly supervised under the provisions of the rule. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the student to complete the Law School’s Student Practice Certification Form and obtain the practicing attorney’s signature to make a request to be certified under Rule 1. This requirement is found under Rule 1.03 of the Student Practice Rules.

Students seeking practice certification under Rule 1 should complete the Student Practice Certification Form. It must be completed and signed by the practicing attorney, and submitted to the Registrar’s Office at or delivered to N160 Mondale Hall. Once the form is received, certification takes approximately one week.

Rule 2 – Clinical Student Practice
Applies to students enrolled in a clinic course. Student names are automatically submitted to the Minnesota Supreme Court if they are in a clinic where there may be an opportunity to represent a client. When the drop/add period ends after the first week of school, student names are submitted to the attorney registration clerk. Within two weeks, students will be certified. Students will not be personally notified of their registration. Please see the law clinics office manager with questions regarding clinic student certification. Students who are not in good standing are ineligible to participate in the Clinics and for student practice certification.

Certification under one rule DOES NOT include certification under the other. Students who work for a government agency and who are also enrolled in a clinic course must be certified under each rule. The Supreme Court maintains a record of who is assuming responsibility for student activities in court. The University of Minnesota Law School accepts that responsibility under Rule 2, Clinical Student Practice. However, the employer must accept that responsibility under Rule 1, General Student Practice.

Length of certification
Both Rule 1 and Rule 2 certifications remain in effect for 12 months. You may be re-certified for an additional 12 months by request. Certification could terminate sooner if certain events occur as stated in Rule 1.03 or Rule 2.03 of the Student Practice Rules.

Student Practice Certification—Other States
Most states have court rules and procedures to certify an eligible law student to appear on a client’s behalf, under the supervision of a licensed attorney in that state. Students seeking practice certification outside of Minnesota are responsible for researching the certification requirement for the state in question, and submitting to the Law School Registrar’s Office all relevant forms and instructions. Questions regarding non-Minnesota student practice certification should be directed to the Registrar’s Office at

Student Records Request Form

Use this form for routine requests from the Student Affairs division, such as letters of good standing, copies of your law school application, etc. Launch the online Student Records Request form (UMN.EDU login required) or Microsoft Office document icondownload and print the Student Records Request form.

Study Away Forms

Students wishing to study abroad or take part in off-site summer study courses must submit an approval form in advance. Below are the forms relating to specific Study Away situations:

Transcript Requests

Class of 2006 through current class
Unofficial transcripts are available online at One Stop:

Official transcripts can only be obtained from the One Stop Student Services Center at 130 West Bank Skyway or online at

Alumni of classes 2005 and earlier
Both official and unofficial transcripts may be obtained from the Law School by completing a Microsoft Office document iconTranscript Request Form or by sending a written, signed request to the Office of Student Affairs. There is no charge for official or unofficial transcripts.

Faxed transcript requests are accepted but must include your handwritten signature. Email requests are not accepted at this time.

Transcript requests may be mailed or faxed to:
Office of Student Affairs, Ste N160
University of Minnesota Law School
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455

FAX: 612-625-2824

Contact Information

University of Minnesota Law School

Walter F. Mondale Hall | 229 19th Avenue South | Minneapolis, MN 55455

P: 612-625-5000

Email Us

Connect on Social Media